Clay cutter isnt giving a clean cut

Hello, new to cookiecad and 3d printing, I have had a printer for about a week now and have been playing about with all settings and got helpful advice from other posts on here so hoping someone can help me out now!
I hav printed about 10 new cutters and when I have gone to cut the clay its not giving me a clean cut, I am pushing down so hard and twisting a little… All the tricks just done seem to work so I am thinking that either my settings are off on either cookiecad or Cura… I dont know which.
I have attahced a photo of the settings I have on cookiecad

Hi, I would reduce the blade thickness to 0.6 mm. I use 0.6 for fondant/gum paste cutters, and only use 0.8 thickness when it is a dough cutter. If the cutter is small ( < 1.25") I have also use a blade thickness of 0.4 mm. Sometimes the 0.4 mm blade separates from the handle, but the cutters are just for my use so I don’t get upset if I have to toss them after one use.

Another trick is to cut on a piece parchment paper, use the parchment paper to hold the cutter and the clay/fondant in place while you flip the cutter over. Run your finger on the edge to clean off the ragged edges. But be warned that you will always gets some ragged edges with 3D printed cutters. The edges just aren’t as sharp as metal or molded plastic cutters.

Carol

1 Like

Here’s my usual settings if this helps. This is for cookies, but it helps to have an extra blade that’s sharper that the regular blade.

I actually print THICKER for clay, and I use PETG.
The people using them love them, they don’t stick to the clay.

For my clay cutters I use the following settings for the cookiecad settings. And for my Ender 3 pro as crazy as it sounds the default profile settings have worked wonders for me. If you are using a Creality printer CHEP and Maker’s Muse have great tutorials with some pretty awesome tips and tricks.

1 Like

Question - how thick is your blade for your clay cutters? Thanks in advance.

For clay cutters, I’d suggest to use a .5 mm blade + .5 mm extra blade. The extra blade depth should be shorter than the blade.

The issue with cookiecad is that the mesh resolution of the exported .stl file is super low. Thus the quality of the walls when pretend (especially oval/round) will be very bad and you will have noticeable ringing.

Unfortunately there is no option to set the mesh count to high or export the file as .step. .step file is the best option if you are after quality.
I’ve contacted the support multiple times, but there is no response.