My cutters split at the blade

Hi Cookiecad community.

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am new to the 3d printing. I got into the hobbie because my wife dedivates her self to pastry desserts. I have printed a few cutters for het but the tent to split at the blade or sometimes crack. Dont know if i need to use a diffrent type of PLA.

Thank you in advance.

Hi! This looks like silk PLA. What temperature are you printing it at? We don’t use silk but I’ve believe it needs to be printed at a hotter temperature. Try increasing the nozzle temp in your slicer and see if that helps. If you’re lower than 220 then try 220 at least.

1 Like

I will try that. Also, what PLA do you recommend?

If using PLA Hatchbox,E-Sun, or Overture will work. PETG will work as well. Also, in regards to temperature, a good thing to do before using new filament is to print a temperature tower to see where the best temp is for you to filament. They can be found on thingaverse.com.

1 Like

Well, of course we recommend Cookiecad PLA :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. That’s what we use exclusively in our print farm.

2 Likes

hi, did you fix the problem ?
today i change my filament into SILK and all broken cutter i get.
i using Prusa Slicer and have try 210, 215 and 220 temperature but all not work.

Before i use PLA+ and all good.

1 Like

I have try the suggestions i increse the temperature and improved a bit but still breaking. Some areas are stiff others just flimsy. I am using cura as my stl slicer.

hi thank you for reply.
im not sure what cause this, but i read lot said SILK filament just different about the strength etc.
i gave up and bought new PLA+ filament which work great.

1 Like

mine are doing the same thing with pla

If your cutters are weak and snapping easily with PLA try printing hotter (up to 220 - 230). If that doesn’t help you may be under extruding. A photo of your issue will help us troubleshoot.

1 Like

I tried the second blade. I think a radius could help.

My cutters do that when I don’t print the blades thick enough for some reason. When I make my blades thicker and do the extra blade I don’t have this issue. I do 15 depth 1.3 thickness and on the extra blade I do 10 depth 1. thickness try that and see if it solves your issue.

2 Likes